Recently I have gotten some questions about upcoming updates for the Hotspots with Comments plugin. So I have decided to start a development blog to show what I’m currently working on. The plan is to post a new blog every Friday to show the progress being made. I’ll show specific features being worked at as well as a ‘behind the scenes’ look at development.
One of the bigger issues right now with the plugin is that tooltips (the pop-ups that show when you mouse-over a hotspot) don’t always fit correctly in the browser screen, especially on mobile devices. Sometimes the tooltip is only partially shown and the rest falls off-screen because it is not positioned correctly.
Right now the plugin used the qTip2 library. Qtip2 doesn’t seem to get any updates and bug fixing is a drag. So I have decided to rebuild the tooltips code from scratch so I have 1): more control over how the tooltips look and behave and 2): reduce any dependency on external libraries.
So far the responsiveness has been greatly improved by it:
This does mean quite a rebuild in how the plugin works and stores the settings. As this means a significant rewrite anyway, I’m also improving the icons used for hotspots. More on this in the next devblog.